I just reread the posts from August 2007 through the end of that year. Here's the part I wrote, so I'd have it to look at right about now in pregnancy #2. I believe that the mildly uncomfortable cramps are upon me:
"Did I mention having contractions before? I was mistaken. I was having mildly uncomfortable cramps. I am now having contractions.
These contractions started Friday night and have continued with various durations, various spacing, and a few short breaks since. The current average is 50 seconds of contracting every 8 minutes, but they've been as close as 3 minutes and as long as 70 seconds. This run started around 10am.
When I say contraction, I mean painful combination of cramping and sharp pain that's enough to take my breath away and cause me to negotiate with any diety whose name I can pronounce to make the pain stop. A minute after the contraction recedes, I'm fine - chatting with Jeff, blogging, visiting with Eric during his regular weekend pop-in, whatever.
My nifty Labor and Delivery book (Prepared Childbirth: The Family Way) indicates that in early labor, contractions will be comparable to menstral cramps and will occur every 5 - 30 minutes for 30-45 seconds; whereas, active labor is described as having strong contractions every 2-5 minutes for 45-60 seconds. Early labor can last days or weeks, and active labor can last up to 12 hours. It seems that I've been trapped in a purgatory between the two for about 24 hours now...intense but inconsistent."
It was valuable to have these images to help me recall the difference. I also noted that I had these "cramps" at 36 weeks and pretty much from then on, so it looks like this is par for the course. At least this baby is head down already...
I don't remember this from last time, but I have been craving all sorts of random foods and food combinations for a few weeks. Sudden, strong cravings, often brought on by radio ads. Yesterday, I heard an add for Double Dave's philly cheese steak stromboli and had to focus to avoid driving straight there. Wacky.
Okay. Done with the flashback...
asl
No comments:
Post a Comment