Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Morgen vs. the Scorpion

Quick post to note Morgen's first scorpion and the playground situation...just in case some of these wacky symptoms (nausea, cramping, etc.) plus Katie's dream of my giving birth actually result in a child sooner rather than later.

M. took an hour-long nap instead of two, which meant Mommy was a little ragged by the time Grandma Cat arrived. Luckily, Morgen was sweet right up until bath and bed time, and Daddy was in the game by the time the tantrum-like behavior began.

One thing that really set Morgen off (understandably) was seeing (and perhaps walking right over) a scorpion. She was crying but not freaking out too badly, and this sucker was nearly the exact color of the tile - if it hadn't moved, I might not have seen it right away. As far as we can tell, she wasn't stung, as there aren't any marks on her feet and she wasn't favoring either one and stopped crying fairly quickly. But the experience was scary nonetheless.

We've been running an experiment for a number of days. When I pick M. up from school, I stick around for a few minutes and encourage her to play on the playground; otherwise, she sticks close to her teacher until I arrive. Well, for the last 2-3 days, she sees me arrive and runs to the playset. Does not pass go, does not come near me (unless I'm in her way), and she's super upset when we leave. Today I timed things a little differently, and I arrived with only a few minutes extra to spare. When all of the kids lined up to go inside to wait for parents, I had M. line up, too. That way, she was less resistent. But why doesn't she play until I get there? Is she still getting comfortable? Otherwise, she's doing really well there and seems to really like it (as evidenced by her complete lack of interest in heading home most days).

And now for Katie's dream. Katie dreamt last night that Ellen and I were both in the process of giving birth to girls on the same day. Since Ellen isn't pregnant, I'm going to read extra into the dream for myself. :) Seriously, though, mid-afternoon, I got this kicked in the butt feeling and started to feel quite sick to my stomach and have a crampy-like feeling and low back pain. I love the info online (and from a doc for that matter) that indicates that, yes, this could be the start of labor, but that could mean another 24 hours to many weeks. Ah, well. When you grasp at straws, you can't expect too much.

I have to remember that in less than 2 weeks, I'll have a baby one way or the other, so I should be taking advantage of this time...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry about the playing at the end of the day. Morgen is probably trying to control her environment and you. My guess is she has had a great day until she knows when it is almost time for Mommy. Then she knows how to "wield her power" when Mommy shows up. We still see McKay struggle at age 4 with "I want to be a big girl like Aidan but I still want to be the baby." Good luck and soon you'll be able to drink a small glass of wine to help unwind!

Katie said...

Well last night I dreamt I lived in a house with all of my co-workers and I was really mad at one of them for stealing my shampoo, so. . .