Friday, September 11, 2009

Baby Did It

The last couple of weeks have been full of fun developments. Liv has started "talking" and making all sorts of sounds and coos and squeals. She is also tolerating tummy time a bit better and will roll onto her side when we play on the floor. I've been helping her roll onto her tummy and then to her back again, but she doesn't show much interest in rolling beyond her side. I'm making more of an effort to ensure that we get tummy time each day now that I'm feeling a little less tired.

Morgen...oh, Morgen. Today in the car, Morgen pulled a book from her backpack (a set of books / small toys that are always in the car since it takes us 25-30 minutes to get darn near anywhere). She noticed that there was a bit of the cover torn off and said "Uh, oh." Uh, huh. I asked if she knew who'd torn the book? Did Morgen tear the book? She was thoughtful and said casually, "No." Oh? I [nicely] asked her who she thought had torn it then? "Baby did it." What?? Morgen just started speaking in sentences with 3 and 4 words consistently. How did she already make the leap to fibbing?? Anyway, smothering my nervous laughter, I let her know that the baby did not yet have the ability to tear the book and that I was fairly certain that Morgen had indeed done the deed. I told Morgen's teachers at school this morning, and they thought it was hysterical, which help assuage my concerns that my child is headed for a life in ponzy schemes.

I will say that Morgen has just recently started to engage in pretend play. She plays with her doll and wants me to change its diaper. Or when she has a bug bite, her bunny or teddy or dolly seems to have one as well. Perhaps the baby-did-it incident was merely an extension of her beginning to understand the idea of pretending...that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

No comments: