Sunday, January 6, 2013

Where did 2012 go?

So, a year ago I was all excited about house to home projects and about blogging. Not sure where that year went. J and I attended a seminar this past weekend called Your Best Year Yet, and, once again, I had to admit that I am challenged when it comes to consistency. I have a few strategies to address that, so we'll see how it goes.

I was looking at our Doc's newsletter (Dr. Sharon Hausman-Cohen, Balcones Woods Family Medicine, http://www.bwfamilymedicine.com) and was reminded of a favorite book - The Five Love Languages. Here's a bit from the newsletter about how to show love to someone based on his/her love language:

Words of affirmation:
-Look for your partner's strengths and tell him or her how much you appreciate those strengths. Set a goal to give your partner a different compliment each day for one month
-Write a love letter, love paragraph, or love sentence and give it quietly or with fanfare

Acts of service:
-Do some major acts of service like washing the car, cooking a meal, painting a bedroom, or washing the deck and then post a sign that reads, "To [other's name] with love"
-Make a list of the requests that the other person has made of you over the past few weeks. Select one of these each week and do it as an expression of love.

Gifts:
-Keep a "Gift Idea Notebook." Every time you hear the other person say, "I really like that," write it down in the notebook.
-Try a parade of gifts throughout the day, or giving the other person a small gift every day for a random week. Gifts don't have to be purchased, they can include things found in nature or made by hand.

Physical touch:
-Giving hugs and massages; holding hands whenever possible

Quality time:
-Ask the other person for a list of five activities that he or she would enjoy doing with you. Make plans to do one of them each month for the next five months.

Sheesh. I'm exhausted after 2 weeks with the girls at home, and we're already to get back to our school routine. So, this is it for today.

Until next week,
asl

No comments: