Monday, December 26, 2011

2012: The year we make our house our own

Morgen's first teacher, Ms. Viktoria, told me that it takes 3 years to recover emotionally and physically from the birth of a child.  I don't remember the source, but I believe it to be true for me.  My energy level is finally allowing me to take on projects around the house!  As a comparison, I'm pretty sure that after the first week of winter break last year, I was in the fetal position on the sofa.  ;)

So, what are these projects?  Well, I cleared out the laundry room - my staging area, as Jeff refers to it with a smirk - of all items to be donated, put into the garage, returned or loaned to people, or just plain thrown away or recycled.  The excitement of being able to walk through fed the momentum, and the hall closet received the same treatment.  Hooray!

After the high of purging stuff from our home, and because I was desperate to take the girls somewhere...anywhere to survive until dinner last Thursday (a nap-free day), we went to the hardware store and bought paint and supplies for Liv's room.  I got through almost all of the painting on Friday; sadly, I nearly ran out of paint with second coats to go on two walls, so I'll finish that tomorrow.  I'll post a pic or two then - so far, I'm super pleased, as are the girls.  Jeff thinks it's a touch bright, but when the furniture is back in place, and the pictures are hung, I think it's going to be perfect!!

Another bonus came out of the painting being a touch delayed.  The girls are sleeping in M's room for a couple of nights until the paint smell completely goes away, and tonight went very well!  They talked for a little while, but were asleep by 8pm.  Our last experiment was far less successful.  M really wants to sleep in her bunk bed, and she's been pull-up free since October at night.  We made a deal with them, that if they could prove that they could sleep in the same room this week, we'd move the bunk beds into the-room-formerly-known-as-Liv's and make the room-formerly-known-as-Morgen's into a play and craft room.  Talk about motivation!  They are super excited.

That will create another project - carpet removal in the play room.  Tee hee.  Don't tell Jeff that part yet.  ;)  I want to add flor, since they still do a ton of stuff on the floor.  http://www.flor.com/feelin-groovy-lime.html


The other fun project that will be finished this week is the framed chalk art bits that will surround the kitchen, and, ideally, entertain the children so that they stay out of the kitchen while I am in it.  :)


Again, pictures will be posted as each project is completed - likely this week.


Saw this recently and really like it.  Not sure if it's accurate, or if it's Bob Marley, but I like the sentiment a lot:


“You may not be her first, her last, or her only. She loved before she may love again. But if she loves you now, what else matters? She's not perfect - you aren't either, and the two of you may never be perfect together but if she can make you laugh, cause you to think twice, and admit to being human and making mistakes, hold onto her and give her the most you can. She may not be thinking about you every second of the day, but she will give you a part of her that she knows you can break - her heart. So don't hurt her, don't change her, don't analyze and don't expect more than she can give. Smile when she makes you happy, let her know when she makes you mad, and miss her when she's not there.” 
― Bob Marley

Until the projects are completed,
asl

No comments: